Friday, March 16, 2007

Social Media Explosion

In recent weeks (and even days) the interest in social media has exploded. Clearly we have reached a tipping point.   Here are some interesting links that Bill Williams, and others, have pointed out.

In today's San Francisco Chronicle, there is a front page story about the collision of new and old media at the South by Southwest Interactive Festival.  

The current edition of Business Week features a series of special reports about using Wikis in the corporate world.

And on Feb 28th, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) hosted at WikiFair which featured several interesting sessions about using Wikis in several government agencies.  A lengthy videocast of the speakers is online, along with speaker notes and Powerpoint
slides.

3 comments:

Donavan Albert said...

I do like WordPress (a lot) - it was extremely easy to deploy with my ISP. They offer a WordPress installation with their hosting...of which didn't work quite right (older rev.), so I uploaded a newer version and things went smooth. I was also messing around with deploying DokuWiki too, just to learn more about the configuration piece and potential link (via tagging or whatever) to my Blog application (maybe?). Not sure I'll be successful with that endeavor.

Social Media - blogs, wikis, email, discussion boards, telephones, teleconferences, etc...all seem to have their place. RE: email, sometimes I think prefer to send an email vs. posting a blog entry (but, not all the time). I think the communications choice may be somewhat of a personal preference - on both sides. But, I'm extremely curious to see how takes shape with our Region 7 project.

Unknown said...

It will be interesting to see how hard/easy it will be for people to move away from email as a primary means of communicating. I think that the Portal and RSS will play an important role. Even though RSS is easy, the adoption rate is not that high on the web yet -- possibly because MS Explorer did not have it until the latest version. I would like to see more folks in the FS using Firefox -- perhaps it could be part of a future disk image.

Donavan Albert said...

The national rss feed that we publish for the agency has a high hit count, which surprised me. From what I hear, Outlook (which is coming to a forest near you) is able to leverage RSS feeds...so, I wouldn't just look to browsers.